We have taken measures over the years to increase ways our brewery can operate more sustainably. Some of these include:
- 100% of spent grain is used for cattle feed.
- Our nitrogen generator creates nitrogen gas out of the air that we use for various processes, including tank purges, transferring product, and dry hopping with our hop canon. It has drastically reduced our CO2 gas needs, leading to significantly less CO2 emissions.
We have future plans in place to reduce our carbon footprint even further, with the goals of:
- Capturing CO2 from fermentation to be reused in various capacities, including carbonation, and maintaining our draft systems at all three locations. We anticipate this to be complete by the end of 2021.
- Utilizing solar power for our brewing operations at our production brewery. We anticipate this to be complete by the end of 2022.
- Install a wastewater recovery system at our production brewery so that a portion of water used in the brewing process can be reclaimed for gray water use. We do not have a planned date of completion as this is an on-going study.
Both of our brewery restaurants in Monterey & Carmel-by-the-Sea are in the process of applying to be certified Green Businesses in the California Green Business network. We take steps on everything from water efficiency to waste reduction and recycling, all the way to serving sustainable food and using environmentally safe reusable items.